Saturday I woke up feeling like it might be the day. As Charlotte was a week late, I was very ready to meet her. Ryan was much more patient than I was. We had a lazy Saturday (probably our last for a long time); I even took two long naps. In the afternoon I had what I thought might be a couple contractions, but they were several hours apart, so I told Ryan to go to celebrate our friend's birthday as planned (I decided not to go). Instead I went to my parents', where I had what I thought to be a possible contraction or two. After getting home, I took a bath to help ease my back and eventually called Ryan to come home.
I'd been timing my contractions and writing them down (on a list creatively titled Contractions, which Ryan laughed at later). The contractions were getting more frequent, regular, and painful; at about 3AM I called the doctor to see if we should come in because my contractions were five minutes apart, but only about 45 seconds long. He advised to give it another half hour and come in it this continued. So, I finished packing my massive suitcase, and we were off. I called my dad on the way and shouted that I was in labor...I was having another contraction so I could barely speak. (Ryan called both sets of parents once I was in the room.)
We made it to the hospital where we had to fill out paperwork at the nurses' station. This annoyed me because I had already spent the better part of a May morning filling out the paperwork, I'd called ahead as directed in the hospital tour, and I was doubled over in pain. Eventually we did make it into triage where we listened to a very interesting lady scream through her labor pains and we discovered I was four centimeters dilated. It started feeling very real that we'd be having the baby we'd wanted for so long soon.
The delivery room was really nice-- hardwood floors, flatscreen tv, etc. It felt more like a hotel room than a hospital room. My memories start to become a blur here (see Ryan for more information as he told me he remembers every.single.detail.). Soon I was eight centimeters dilated, my water broke, my parents arrived; not necessarily in that order. The pain started getting worse, and I received my epidural, which I now consider to be one of the most amazing miracles of modern medicine. A big WOW! to our moms for having us without one.
The epidural completely numbed my left side; I could not even hold my leg up at all. This slowed the labor up somewhat as I couldn't tell how hard I was pushing. The labor also felt surreal because in the room it was just Ryan (who luckily was holding up my right, nondead leg) and Nurse Cheryl, who was talking to me about my opinions on public school curriculum when I wasn't having a contraction. I pushed for about three hours before the doctor came in to deliver the baby.
| We love you, Charlotte Jane. |
She looks like the stork brought her! (But we all appreciate your efforts!) And you can fill me in later on what you told Nurse Cheryl regarding public school curriculum!
ReplyDeleteThis story gave me chills Kate! I love you guys :)
ReplyDelete