Friday, September 30, 2011

One Month Old


Dear Charlotte,
I can't believe you are one month old! The month has flown by but in many ways, it feels like you have been with us forever.

Feeding you has been the most time consuming part of you joining our family. You get so excited when it is time to eat (about every three hours). I'm nursing but have to supplement your feedings with a bottle of formula (Enfamil Newborn), making your eight daily mealtimes a multi step process. However, you seem to be thriving with this eating plan, which is all that matters. Your dad and I are so grateful you are a healthy baby.

Sometimes you fight sleep (you don't want to miss anything) but are mostly a good sleeper. It changes frequently, but recently you have been taking two decent naps during the day and sleeping well at night. You have mostly been sleeping in our room but we are hoping to get you in your beautiful nursery soon. You love to cuddle and would prefer to sleep on any one's chest. When you are falling asleep or waking up you make adorable faces-- you'll smile, stretch, then smile again. Your arms are often raised over your head.

You love to take baths-- are you a future swimmer? You like the warm water and getting clean. Dad and I mostly give you your baths together, so I think you like the family time too. You have had to have "emergency" baths by Pop-Pop and Monna and me. I was scared to give you a bath alone the first time!

There are some things you don't like. You seem to dislike riding in the car-- you cry, and it breaks my heart that I can't get you to stop. I stick my hand back and you'll hold onto a finger really tightly, which calms you down for a bit. Hopefully you will start to like the car more soon, so we can get out and about!

When you get fussy, it seems to help to walk you around and bounce you. When Monna was here helping, she became the expert at this! You just love to be held. You also get the hiccups a lot, which you did before you born too. It doesn't seem to bother you at all.

We have had so much help this first month. Of course, Bebe and Granddaddy are in Gainesville now, and Monna came for a little more than a week. Pop-Pop has been up twice, and you have met all your aunts and uncles. You are so loved, Charlotte.

You are starting to like to play more every day. You have liked your rainforest playmat since the first week or so, and you love to watch mobiles and your dragonfly toy. Daddy and Bebe have been playing peek-a-boo with you which makes you smile. Your smiles are the sweetest things.

First month milestones
  • Make great eye contact (in hospital)
  • lift head while on stomach (in hospital)
  • Make baby sounds like cooing (second week)
  • Smile spontaneously (first week)
  • Smile when you see someone you know (third week)
  • Life head and turn it 90 degrees when on stomach (second week-- when I was walking away from you!)
Your dad and I love you so much and are thankful to be a family of three.
-Mom

1 comment:

  1. This letter is so sweet. It makes me feel like I know her! She's adorable.

    ReplyDelete